Tuesday 12 April 2011

SOLDIER OF FORTUNE (Italy, 198?)

VHS / Japan / fullscreen / English dub / Japanese subs

Directed by Pierluigi Ciriaci
Starring Daniel (Hands of Steel) Greene, Bo Svenson and Savina Gersak

Check this out! My newest awesome tape. Well, I ASSUME it's awesome but I haven't actually received it yet cos I won it last night. But yay!! Spiffy!!!

I won it on an auction held by David Z - yes, thee David Z!! The awesomely nice fella who co-wrote the "Tough to Kill" book (which is text book material if you're a regular on this blog) and who runs the Tomb it May Concern blog. He had quite a few cool tapes but I'm sure you realise why I couldn't let you in on the action, haha.

Anyway, David still has a few mighty cool Japanese tapes and there's a bit of time to go. He's got more than I'm gonna list here but these are the ones that probably apply the most to you and I as aficionados of trashy war flicks:

Enzo G. Castellari's LIGHTBLAST,

Jun Gallardo's COMMANDO INVASION,

and Tonino Ricci's RAIDERS OF THE MAGIC IVORY.

- Another tape you might wanna consider is the crazy Indonesian war flick DAREDEVIL COMMANDO(S) starring Barry Prima. The tape is an uber rare Danish ex-rental VHS (don't worry it's not dubbed in Danish, haha, but carries the English dub). The tape isn't on eBay but is sold directly from Member-X on Cinehound forum (he's taking offers until he gets one that he'll be happy with. I must admit I prefer ordinary auctions but, hey, whatever). If you're interested but not a member there let me know your email addy and I'll give it to Member-X. You can check the tape here.

EDIT: Member-X has now put DAREDEVIL COMMANDO on eBay as well. 5 days to go. Here.

And finally, a couple more Filipino films on awesome Japanese VHS that you might wanna pick up (you ought to!) are over at Ali at Spiralheadcase: MANNICAN'S FORCE, that has a bunch of regulars in it, Eric Hahn, Jim Moss, and Mike Monty, and DOUBLE EDGE with Ron Kristoff and Jim Gaines. Four days to go.

And finally, altho I've just won SOLDIER OF FORTUNE I have actually had a very nice DVD-R of the Japanese version for quite some time. One of my really nice readers in the UK has sent me some cool films thru out this website's lifetime and I'd just like to say thanks a lot, mate. It's highly appreciated. And while I'm at it I'd also like to say cheers to that nice someone in OZ who sent me cool custom made stuff as well. And that other someone in the UK, oh and that multo nice'o amigo over in the US + the other bloke also in the US. You all know who you are (and I don't know if some of you would rather not be mentioned by name because DVD-R's are probably best off flying under the radar so I'll just shhh for now. But cheers to you all. :D

8 comments:

  1. Thank ya sir...and have no fear, there will be DVDr! SoF is a really unique entry into the action film genre in my opinion, probably not going to get any special edition treatment, but I would love to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got a copy of this! Looking forward to watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, David. And I must admit I just don't capisce why these Italian action and war flicks don't get the same treatment as many of their horror counterparts that are released, re-released, blu-ray'ed and whathaveyou! Not fair. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on ya, Ty. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure :) And I'm happy to have won Commando Invasion! That Soldier of Fortune looks great, Daniel Greene is the man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. christakis the cypriot13 April 2011 at 18:58

    hey guys.i heard that this film is a shit!for the other films i saw raiders of the magic ivory.if you see tgat film you will get sleep.ok there is some good action but the actors are shit!the baddest playing i ever seen in a war adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, Christakis,

    You heard that it's shit. LOL. My friend, there's always someone who's gonna say films are shit not matter what.

    Actually 99% of the films on this site would be labelled as *shit* by fans of "real" films. And the mainstream would have a field day with these movies ridiculing them. I haven't watched IVORY yet so I don't know what I think of it. But, again, when you say the actors are bad, come on, most of the actors in these movies are *bad*. That's part of the fun. :D

    ReplyDelete

Yes, we have a comment filter now! It seems most comments these days come from shit spammers in India so there you go.