Tuesday 19 February 2013

CANNIBAL MERCENARY REDUX



Check this out! It's a new VHS bootleg release of a composite print of the insane Thai Vietnam flick CANNIBAL MERCENARY!! And yes, I did say V-H-S. As in video tape. How cool is that! It's a very limited release and, lo and behold, it's already sold out! I've never watched this particular composite print and I have no idea what extra is in it compared to the uncut international print; I'll let you know when I receive my copy. I'm told there's some stuff from the Tomas Tang Hong Kong version (but I believe there's no scenes of gwilos!). Oh, and check the liner notes on the back! I thought being asked to do liner notes for this particular film was pretty cool (and they're my first ever so that's cool too). ^_^

The label behind the release is KING OF THE WITCHES that are located in Brockton, Massachusetts, USA. Check their Facebook page here.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Wow, that is Fantastic. Excellent discovery Jack, and very well done in securing yours. I so would have loved one of these. Any possibility of another print run in the future ?. Hope you are well my friend. This will doubtlessly be a pick up tonic if you are not ;) .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Paul!! It's not so much a discovery on my part as it's the label guys getting in touch with me asking if I'd do the liner notes for the cover. I still haven't even watched this composite version as I haven't got it yet. I don't know if they'll do another print run, 40 copies doesn't seem like very much but that's completely out of my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there.

    This was a video compsite I made using the US VHS and Tang's DVD Release (Jaguar Project). The original file was a xvid/avi, they just downloaded it and then recorded in tape. I can't belive they were selling this, and for such a price, when it could have been downloaded for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi "Thomas",
      I don't know these people personally. They asked me if I'd like to write the text for their cover and as payment I'd get a copy of the tape. I never received anything. I've just checked their website (link via their fb page) and it seems they're still selling a dvd-r of your fan-edit. They're also selling the usual HK horror films like "Devil Fetus" etc. with "snuff" style covers. Go figure. "The Boy God" as a scary Devil on it although it's a kid's movie. LOL. I wish all these movies would go on YOuTube so people would stop buying bootlegs.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jack,

    Yes, I think I ordered onece from them, many years ago. By the way, this fan edit was uploaded to youtube some time ago.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yUm1JT4VZY&t=54s

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete

Yes, we have a comment filter now! It seems most comments these days come from shit spammers in India so there you go.